Ever been at a Target checkout with your phone, thinking if you can use Apple Pay?
You’re not alone. With smartphones becoming ever more integral to our daily lives, many consumers expect to use their devices for just about everything, including making payments, due to the convenience and security that comes with mobile payment methods.
Let’s take a deep look into whether Target accepts Apple Pay, how you can use this payment method within their stores and app/website, and what other payments Target accepts.
Does Target Take Apple Pay?
Yes, Target has accepted Apple Pay both in its app/website and store since Jan 2019. Apple Pay makes paying in Target stores easy, safe, and faster than using a credit or debit card.
By integrating with the latest in payment technology, Target ensures shoppers can enjoy the benefits of efficiency and enhanced security that come with using Apple Pay. This forward-thinking approach aligns with Target’s commitment to customer convenience and satisfaction.
As you stand in line with your cart full of goodies, rest easy knowing your checkout can be as simple as a tap on your iPhone or Apple Watch. Gone are the days of fumbling for your wallet or punching in a PIN.
But how exactly can you make the most out of Apple Pay at Target? Let’s break it down.
How to Use Apple Pay at Target
So you’re ready to tap-and-go with Apple Pay, but not sure how it works? Fear not. The process to use Apple Pay at Target is pretty straightforward, whether you are navigating through the app or standing at the register in-store.
How to Use Apple Pay on the Target App or Target.com:
Shopping online with the Target app or target.com (use Chrome or Safari) is a breeze when you opt for Apple Pay. Here’s how you seal the deal on your virtual cart:
- Once you’ve found the perfect items and added them to your cart, proceed to ‘Checkout.’
- During checkout, look for the Apple Pay option among the payment methods. It’s typically available alongside credit card and PayPal options.
- Click the Apple Pay button, and a prompt will appear, asking you to confirm your details on your Apple device.
- On your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, complete the authentication by using Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode. Ensure your device is signed into the same iCloud account associated with Apple Pay.
- Your billing, shipping, and contact information will auto-populate from your Apple Pay wallet. Check that these are correct or make any necessary adjustments.
- After confirming your details, approve the transaction, and done! Your payment is processed, and your order will be on its way.
It’s safe, secure, and you don’t have to enter your card details manually. Plus, your receipt is stored in the app, so keeping track of your purchases is a piece of cake.
How to Use Apple Pay In-Store:
Walk into a Target store, and the world of contactless payment is at your fingertips. To use Apple Pay for your in-store purchases:
- At the checkout, let the team member know you’re paying with Apple Pay.
- Double-click the side button on your iPhone or the button on your Apple Watch to bring up your default Apple Pay card.
- If you want to switch to a different card, a quick tap will let you pick an alternative from your virtual wallet.
- Hold your device near the contactless reader with your finger on Touch ID or glance at your phone for Face ID until you see “Done” and a checkmark on the display.
That’s it! There’s no need to open an app or wake your device—Apple Pay is designed to be seamless. You’ll find that paying for your Target finds is quicker than ever, letting you get on with your day without skipping a beat.
Why Use Apple Pay at Target?
In today’s fast-paced world, efficiency and security are the top considerations for any transaction. Using Apple Pay at Target checks both of these boxes, setting the stage for a seamless shopping experience.
Let’s uncover the reasons why shoppers are reaching for their iPhones instead of their wallets at the checkout line.
1. Convenience at Your Fingertips
Imagine this: You’re carrying bags, a coffee, and your shopping list. The last thing you want to do is rummage through your purse or pockets for your wallet. With Apple Pay, your payment method is as accessible as your phone—which is often already in your hand.
A quick, contactless wave of your device, and your purchase is complete. It’s the epitome of shopping convenience, allowing you to save time and hassle.
2. Enhanced Security and Privacy
When you use Apple Pay, it doesn’t save your card number on your device or share it with the store. It uses a special, encrypted code for each purchase to keep your real card details safe.
This layer of security gives peace of mind, as it significantly reduces the risk of credit card fraud. Moreover, with Face ID or Touch ID, only you can authorize a payment, keeping your transactions safe from unauthorized use.
3. Rewards and Seamlessness
For those who thrill in the accumulation of rewards, using Apple Pay with a rewards credit card at Target means you earn your points or cashback without having to physically carry the card.
It streamlines your shopping and ensures you never miss out on rewards due to forgetting your card. You get the convenience of Apple Pay with all the benefits your credit card offers—all without a second thought.
4. A Touchless, Hygienic Option
In a world that is increasingly conscious about health and hygiene, contactless payment is more than just convenient—it’s a public health measure.
Apple Pay provides a touch-free way to complete your transaction, which is particularly appealing during times where we’re conscious about what we touch. This reduces contact with shared surfaces that hundreds of other shoppers may have touched.
Every small effort counts when it comes to the environment, and Apple Pay helps reduce the need for printing receipts. As e-receipts become the norm, using a digital payment method aligns with the move towards eco-friendly practices.
With Apple Pay, you’re supporting a reduction in paper waste—one transaction at a time.
6. Streamlined Returns and Transactions
When returns or exchanges are necessary, Apple Pay simplifies the process. Since your transaction information is securely stored within your device, retrieving proof of purchase can be done quickly, without the need to sift through paper receipts.
The store can easily look up the transaction on their system, making your return or exchange as sleek as the original purchase. This feature of Apple Pay ensures that post-purchase experiences are as smooth as the checkout process itself.
7. Integration with Target Offers and Discounts
If you’re a savvy shopper who loves utilizing Target’s Circle offers and discounts, Apple Pay won’t hinder your deal-hunting. It integrates smoothly with Target’s savings programs, allowing you to apply any eligible offers directly through the app before you make your purchase with Apple Pay.
This integration ensures that you don’t miss out on any potential savings while enjoying the perks of using a modern payment method.
Other Payment Methods for Online Purchases at Target.com and Through the Target App
Target offers customers many payment options at your fingertips.
- Target RedCard, including the Debit Card, Credit Card, and Target Mastercard
- Third-party credit cards like American Express, Discover/Novus, Mastercard, Visa, as well as Target PCard and foreign bank credit cards
- Third-party debit cards that can be utilized as credit cards if they’re Visa or Mastercard branded
- Various forms of Target GiftCards, including eGiftCards and those on mobile devices
- Installment options from Affirm, Sezzle, PayPal Pay in 4, Afterpay, Klarna, and Zip
- Gift cards from third-party providers including American Express, Discover, Visa, and Mastercard
- PayPal (exception: not available for Target Plus Partners’ products)
- EBT cards, with SNAP EBT accepted online (note: cash EBT is not accepted online, and SNAP EBT can’t be used for items sold by Target Plus Partners)
In-store Payment Methods at Target Locations
- Cash payments (no foreign currency, with potential exceptions for Canadian dollars or Mexican pesos at certain locations)
- Mobile payment options such as Google Pay, and Samsung Pay, including any other NFC (Near Field Communication) enabled contactless digital wallet
- The suite of Target RedCard options: Debit Card, Credit Card, and Mastercard
- Temporary Target RedCard slips for payment
- Credit cards from third-party issuers: Visa, Mastercard, Discover/Novus, American Express, cards from foreign banks including JCB and Diner’s Club International, plus FSA/HSA eligible cards
- Debit/ATM and EBT cards from the U.S., plus Canadian debit cards with NYCE or Interac paired with Visa logos
- Contactless payments with Target Mastercard or other approved contactless third-party credit cards
- Gift card acceptance includes Target GiftCards, Merchandise Return Cards, and Prepaid Gift Cards with Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express logos. Starbucks gift cards are usable at in-store Starbucks counters. Note: Target GiftCards can’t be used for RedCard payments or to buy third-party gift cards.
- Target Corporation gift certificates redeemable only in the country of issue
- Merchandise vouchers from Target never expire
- Checkout registers can simultaneously process multiple forms of payment, including credit/debit cards and EBT cards
- Personal checks for payment
- Rebate checks, which typically cover only a portion of a purchase and cannot be used to buy Target GiftCards or third-party gift cards
- FSA/HSA checks, which can be used for eligible purchases specifically in the pharmacy and optical departments
- WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) Program benefits are accepted at authorized stores
- Alipay, available in certain authorized stores
- Campus Cash, accepted exclusively at approved locations
Forms of Payment Not Accepted by Target
- Payments with foreign checks or currency from countries other than the U.S. Note that selected Target locations may accept Canadian dollars or Mexican pesos based on the store’s location and updated exchange rates.
- Mall Certificates and Chamber Bucks, with the caveat that certain Target stores may accept these forms of payment. Customers should call their local store for specific acceptance policies.
- Money orders, which are only permissible as payment for credit account settlements at Target.
- Business checks, which are not processed as a form of payment by Target.
- Merchant-specific gift cards (such as Disney), excluding Starbucks gift cards, which are allowed at in-store Starbucks counters.
Target does take Apple Pay, and they equally welcome various other payment methods. It’s clear that using Apple Pay at Target is more than just a trend, it’s a smart shopping strategy.
Apple Pay transforms the checkout process at Target into an advanced, user-friendly experience. It’s a powerful tool that enhances the way you shop and interact with your favorite retail spaces.
With your iPhone or Apple Watch in hand, Target trips become more secure, private, and convenient, all thanks to the ingenuity of Apple Pay.